The view of the Swiss Riviera from the windows of the 19th century villa where Laсlinic has taken up residence in Montreux makes us wonder how many components there are to beauty – your original appearance, a responsible attitude towards upkeep, and the repair of lost or damaged elements.
And like the villa and the garden that need the professional touch of an experienced restorer and landscape gardener in order to look harmonious, the maintenance of a beautiful face needs effective team work. Ladinic has developed a complex approach to appearance which enables us to turn the clock back and prevent age- related deterioration.
Dr. Franck Floch is convinced that a face can look harmonious and young if everything is perfect therein: both the smile and the eyes. One might well say that the Ladinic team of specialists work as artists who see the complete picture and are able to bring new colors to the composition with one stroke of a brush.
– Dr. Floch, what do you mean when you talk about a complex approach to anti-aging programmes?
– Age-related changes appear on the face in different ways, not just as skin decay or wrinkles. There are global structural changes. The facial structure transforms imperceptibly, and structural features become apparent over time. A dramatic example: if we take a look at one woman at the ages of 20, 40 and 60, we can see how facial contours lose definition. The chin moves forward, the lips become thinner, the oral cavity sinks, the nose becomes hooked…
– So, it is not enough to take care of the skin alone?
– If you want to get the total anti-aging effect, you need to apply complex measures. That is why we implement a complementary approach consisting of three elements: medical (health-improving), dental, and cooperation with other specialists. The first includes issues of general health. There is scientific research offering evidence that dental diseases influence other bodily organs. If you want to improve the state of your body, your appearance, you have to be sure that your mouth is healthy. The second part flows from the first – before starting the improvement of teeth from an aesthetic point of view, you have to pass the necessary medical treatment. Further on, we may involve other specialists such as cosmetologists, surgeons and others.
– What do you think reveals your age on your face most of all?
– The main communication channels are the eyes and the mouth. A person who is not confident in his smile, in the appearance of his teeth, tries to cover his mouth with his hand when he smiles. He worries about his facial expressions, suppresses a sincere demonstration of feelings, and loses spontaneity. The state of the teeth, lips and gums influence the smile. A person who wants a facelift should take into account that the best result cannot be reached without considering these components.
– And what age-related changes impact upon the teeth?
– Their quality decreases, and they become grayish or yellowish. The main reason for this is that the dental enamel becomes thinner over the course of time, and the other layer, dentin, opens up. It has a natural yellowish hue, and it is subject to staining, especially if a person is a smoker and/or drinks strong coffee, tea, red wine or Coca-Cola. Another reason for tooth discoloration is improper hygiene of the oral cavity, if dental plaque is not removed in due time. Pearl-white teeth in people are associated with health, beauty and youth. Darkened teeth make a person look much older.
It is also known that human teeth are subject to natural grinding over the course of time. Teeth grinding may be both pathological and age-related. As a result, the teeth become very sensitive to changes in temperature, and the occlusion of the teeth changes because of changes in the length of the teeth, and this causes fine lines and wrinkles on the face. If you adjust the occlusion of the teeth in due time, by putting in a dental bracket, for example, future problems can be prevented.
– How do you start working with a client?
– At the beginning we conduct a detailed interview: how a patient feels in general, what medicine he takes, what his health problems are – maybe they are connected with dentistry. Everything will be examined in detail in order to see the whole picture and to understand what other specialists will be needed. Then we make a general investigation of the oral cavity. Later, based on the requests of the client, we develop a customized plan. Maybe a person wants veneers, but after diagnostics it may become clear that some other solutions might be more appropriate for him.
Or maybe a patient thinks that he needs a chin correction. We perform aesthetic correction surgery or genioplasty – this may help to improve a chin which deviates forward or backward too much. The surgery includes an implant made, as a rule, of silicone or a preformed bone transplant. If the chin deviates forward, part of the excess bone may be removed. However, sometimes this problem may be solved in another way – for example, by improving the dental occlusion.
We embody a global aesthetic approach to dentistry with many options: in addition to the aesthetic dentistry office, there is a surgical unit in Laclinic, as well as rooms for guests who need, for example, some rehabilitation after surgery. We have four standard rooms and three suites with wonderful views, and we offer our clients an exclusive service – there are two or three assistant nurses per four or five patients. The rooms are decorated in such a way as to make the patient feel as if he is in a comfortable hotel, not in a hospital, and art and paintings contribute to the appropriate atmosphere.
– Is it possible to combine cosmetological procedures – for example, beauty injections – and dental treatment?
– It depends on the type of injections and the part of the face. For example, if we go with botox, there are no contraindications, but if we plan to inject hyaluronic acid into the lips, it is not advisable to begin dental procedures at the same time, since one procedure may interfere with the other.
This is why we build a sequence of procedures and treatments for every patient. For this purpose, we a have a specialist who monitors the client’s schedule in order to plan everything sequentially and logically. In case two types of treatment contradict each other or, let’s say, medicinal products come into conflict with each other, we change the sequence or adjust it in another way. For instance, the patient cannot undergo a laser treatment after peeling, as it may damage the skin. Also, there are some other contraindications.
Sometimes it’s vice versa, and we can prescribe a procedure in addition to the main treatment. Thus, a LED procedure with the lamp emitting a special light may be very efficient after surgery. It is absolutely painless and, at the same time, the cells are renewed. And if the healing process is not so fast, such procedures may speed it up; they work as an anti-inflammatory measure and help to restore the cells.
– How much time does the investigation take?
– If we are talking about dental treatment only, it takes one or two hours maximum. If we are talking about a global rehabilitation or an anti-aging program, then it will take a day.
The structure of our clinic enables us to treat any case – from a very simple one up to a complex correction and treatment. The whole team works on this, each specialist examining the client from the point of view of his professional competence and making his contribution in attaining the perfect outcome.
At the same time, we work fast, not because we are in a hurry, but because every team member does his bit.
If necessary, we can call an urgent meeting, since all the specialists are in one building. We discuss everything together, complementing each other, and we perform surgery together if necessary. In Laclinic, the achievements of medicine and science are combined with the highly artistic work of masters and gifted technicians.
– That is to say, if a person came for business to Geneva or Lausanne, he may come to you and treat his tooth, for example?
– Yes, it’s possible to arrange a one-time visit or perform a check-up. And if there is the possibility of staying for a few days, we can provide more serious dental services and prepare a plan for the future. Or if a client, for example, is in another hotel, he may have an examination on an outpatient basis: he can come in and have a blood test, consult a nutritionist, have skin diagnostics, and develop an aesthetic medicine and an aesthetic dentistry plan.
Clients from all over the world come to us for a variety of cosmetic procedures, and even surgery. An average stay in Laclinic is around three days, and we manage to do a lot in that time. No matter how much time a client has, we are always able to offer him something, and thanks to our well-coordinated team work, he will not be left without treatment.
Dr. Franck Floch
is an expert in such fields of dentistry as endodontics, periodontics and implantology. He graduated from the University of Western Brittany (Brest, France) in 1995 with a major in Medicine. For 10 years he worked as a lecturer/ researcher, holding the position of clinical assistant and, later, of consultant at the University Clinical Center of Brest, where he founded the department of endodontics. Since 2001, he has been engaged in private practice while at the same time cooperating with Brest medical institutions and private practitioners. He moved to Switzerland in 2012. Dr. Floch is a member of the International Team of Implantology (ITI) and the French Society of Endocrinology (SFE).